- Are you pregnant and scared .....resentful .......angry?
- Your whole world changing and don’t want to face it?
- Want yesterday again?
- Who will listen and really understand how upset you are?
- Free and confidential counselling
- Anonymous pregnancy test
- Information on shelter homes, schooling, ante natal care and adoption
- Basic legal and medical information
- Free maternity clothes
- Free baby clothes
- Referral for professional counselling should it be necessary
- We care about YOU and your baby and you don’t have to face this crisis alone
- We give as much or as little assistance as you need or desire
- We help you think about your future and that of your baby
- We are a loving caring alternative to abortion.
Birthright was founded in October 1968 by Louise Summerhill, a Canadian housewife who became aware of the lack of alternatives to abortion. Her decision to provide a service of love and acceptance led to the opening of a crisis centre in her hometown of Toronto. As a result of Louise Summerhill’s visit to South Africa in 1976, Birthright of Durban was founded in 1977, followed by Birthright of Johannesburg in 1978.
- Young girls and women in crisis due to an unexpected or unwanted pregnancy.
- To be able to talk to someone in confidence.
- To know the resources and options available to them.
- To understand all their alternatives.
- Enable them to make an informed choice.
- To find a friend.
- Birthright accepts volunteers of any race or creed. All volunteers are required to read, understand and commit to the Charter of Birthright and have a sincere desire to help pregnant women without expecting any reward or admiration in return.
- If you feel you could be a Birthright volunteer these are the ways in which you could help:
- Collecting and maintaining maternity and baby wear
- Sewing or Knitting
- Fund raising
- Act as an advisor (this means doing the counselling course)
- Birthright offers full counselling training courses to enable the volunteer to be confident and competent when dealing with a pregnant girl in crisis.
- Birthright is a non profit organisation staffed by trained volunteers and is funded by individual and corporate donations.
- Monetary donations as well as gifts of maternity and baby clothes are gratefully accepted.
- As a non profit charitable organisation we issue receipts for tax purposes.
- To make a donation, you can either call our office in Johannesburg or Durban, or deposit your donation into the following account:
ACCOUNT: Birthright South Africa BANK: Nedbank Limited BRANCH: Brand Road BRANCH CODE: 17430500 ACCOUNT #: 31460896
|Tel:||079 742 8861|
|Address:||Office 14, 4th Floor
110 Bordeaux Drive
|Office Hours:||Call for an appointment|
|Tel:||081 418 5414|
|Address:||171 Bulver Road
|Mon - Wed:||9am - 12pm|
|Thu:||9am - 4pm|
|Fri:||9am - 12pm|